Cell Screen SA (CeSSA) provides automated liquid handling, high-content imaging, measurement of fluorescence-based assays and measurement of luminescence-based assays.
CeSSA is located in the Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer. The instrumentation in the laboratory can be used for single plate/sample assays through to high-throughput screening (up to 110 x 384 well plates, without manual handling, depending on assay) and is focused around several Perkin Elmer instruments:
- Janus workstation for automated pipetting
- Operetta microscope for high-content imaging and analysis
- Ensight for plate-based luminescent and fluorescent assays
- plate::handler II for plate movement
We also have:
- a BioTek 406 washer for automated plate washing and pipetting of inexpensive reagents
- Liconic heat and CO2 controlled incubator
- Liconic room temperature plate stacker
Integration of all instruments with the plate::handler allows for complete automation of plate movement between instruments.
Instruments can also be used separately.
Products and services
CeSSA instrumentation can be used for:
- High-throughput screening of nucleic acid and chemical libraries
- Automated pipetting procedures, including: labware (tube etc) to plate, sample dilutions, plate treatments, cell seeding
- High-content imaging using brightfield, confocal or non-confocal fluorescence, as well as image analysis
- Absorbance, fluorescence, luminescence, time-resolved fluorescence and Alpha-assay plate reading
- Automated workflows combining all or some instruments, for example time-course imaging
|Automated liquid handling||Perkin Elmer||Janus||Standard/mid-size deck. 8-tip Varispan arm. MDT arm with P50 and P235 disposable tip heads.|
|Plate reader||Perkin Elmer||Ensight||Absorbance, luminescence, fluorescence (top and bottom reading), laser-based Alpha, time-resolved fluorescence, temperature controlled. Kaleido software.|
|High-content Microscope||Perkin Elmer||Operetta||Spinning disc confocal or non-confocal fluorescence. Brightfield. Harmony software.|
|Plate washer||BioTek||406||Aspiration and dispensing. 96-well and 384-well plates|
|Automated plate movements||Perkin Elmer||plate:handler II|
|Incubator & Plate Hotel||Liconic||Capacity 110 plates|
Cell counts in 10 – 15 seconds, cell concentration range 5×104 – 1×107 cells/mL, counts cells 3 – 60µm in size.
|Chemical and nucleic acid library screening||<5000 data point library screening. We can help with library selection.|
|High-content imaging||Brightfield, digital phase contrast, confocal/non-confocal, time-lapse, CO2 controlled stage, simplified, automated image analysis using Harmony software. Slides to 384-well plates. Optimised for plates.|
|Plate reading||Plate-based assays with fluorescence, time-resolved fluorescence, luminescence, absorbance read-out. Alpha-based assays.|
|Automated pipetting||plate-to-plate, well-to-well. 96 and 384 well plates. Labware (dish/tube)-to-plate, labware-to-labware.|
|Fully automated workflows between instruments||Automated plate movement between Ensight, Operetta, Janus, washer, plate stacker, and incubator. E.g. automated time-lapse imaging.|